• Bind Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To exert a binding or restraining influence.
- (v. t.) To cover, as with a bandage; to bandage or dress; -- sometimes with up; as, to bind up a wound.
- (v. t.) To prevent or restrain from customary or natural action; as, certain drugs bind the bowels.
- (v. t.) To tie, or confine with a cord, band, ligature, chain, etc.; to fetter; to make fast; as, to bind grain in bundles; to bind a prisoner.
- (v. i.) To contract; to grow hard or stiff; to cohere or stick together in a mass; as, clay binds by heat.
- (n.) Any twining or climbing plant or stem, esp. a hop vine; a bine.
- (v. t.) To sew or fasten together, and inclose in a cover; as, to bind a book.
- (v. t.) To protect or strengthen by a band or binding, as the edge of a carpet or garment.
- (n.) Indurated clay, when much mixed with the oxide of iron.
- (v. t.) To make fast ( a thing) about or upon something, as by tying; to encircle with something; as, to bind a belt about one; to bind a compress upon a part.
- (v. i.) To tie; to confine by any ligature.
- (n.) That which binds or ties.
- (n.) A ligature or tie for grouping notes.
- (v. i.) To be restrained from motion, or from customary or natural action, as by friction.
- (v. t.) To bring (any one) under definite legal obligations; esp. under the obligation of a bond or covenant.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To oblige, restrain, or hold, by authority, law, duty, promise, vow, affection, or other moral tie; as, to bind the conscience; to bind by kindness; bound by affection; commerce binds nations to each other.
- (v. t.) To place under legal obligation to serve; to indenture; as, to bind an apprentice; -- sometimes with out; as, bound out to service.
- (v. t.) To confine, restrain, or hold by physical force or influence of any kind; as, attraction binds the planets to the sun; frost binds the earth, or the streams.
• Bin Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To put into a bin; as, to bin wine.
- () An old form of Be and Been.
- (n.) A box, frame, crib, or inclosed place, used as a receptacle for any commodity; as, a corn bin; a wine bin; a coal bin.
• Binding screw Definition & Synonyms
- () A set screw used to bind parts together, esp. one for making a connection in an electrical circuit.