• Boating Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Boat
- (n.) In Persia, a punishment of capital offenders, by laying them on the back in a covered boat, where they are left to perish.
- (n.) The act or practice of rowing or sailing, esp. as an amusement; carriage in boats.
• Boat Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To place in a boat; as, to boat oars.
- (v. i.) To go or row in a boat.
- (n.) A small open vessel, or water craft, usually moved by cars or paddles, but often by a sail.
- (n.) A vehicle, utensil, or dish, somewhat resembling a boat in shape; as, a stone boat; a gravy boat.
- (v. t.) To transport in a boat; as, to boat goods.
- (n.) Hence, any vessel; usually with some epithet descriptive of its use or mode of propulsion; as, pilot boat, packet boat, passage boat, advice boat, etc. The term is sometimes applied to steam vessels, even of the largest class; as, the Cunard boats.