• Carry Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To act as a bearer; to convey anything; as, to fetch and carry.
- (v. t.) To transfer from one place (as a country, book, or column) to another; as, to carry the war from Greece into Asia; to carry an account to the ledger; to carry a number in adding figures.
- (v. t.) To bear (ones self); to behave, to conduct or demean; -- with the reflexive pronouns.
- (v. t.) To move; to convey by force; to impel; to conduct; to lead or guide.
- (n.) A tract of land, over which boats or goods are carried between two bodies of navigable water; a carrying place; a portage.
- (v. t.) To contain; to comprise; to bear the aspect of ; to show or exhibit; to imply.
- (v. i.) To hold the head; -- said of a horse; as, to carry well i. e., to hold the head high, with arching neck.
- (v. t.) To bear or uphold successfully through conflict, as a leader or principle; hence, to succeed in, as in a contest; to bring to a successful issue; to win; as, to carry an election.
- (v. t.) To convey by extension or continuance; to extend; as, to carry the chimney through the roof; to carry a road ten miles farther.
- (v. t.) To convey or transport in any manner from one place to another; to bear; -- often with away or off.
- (v. t.) To have or hold as a burden, while moving from place to place; to have upon or about ones person; to bear; as, to carry a wound; to carry an unborn child.
- (v. i.) To have earth or frost stick to the feet when running, as a hare.
- (v. t.) To bear the charges or burden of holding or having, as stocks, merchandise, etc., from one time to another; as, a merchant is carrying a large stock; a farm carries a mortgage; a broker carries stock for a customer; to carry a life insurance.
- (v. i.) To have propulsive power; to propel; as, a gun or mortar carries well.
- (v. t.) To get possession of by force; to capture.
• Carryk Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A carack.
• Carrying Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or business of transporting from one place to another.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Carry