• Coup Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A sudden stroke; an unexpected device or stratagem; -- a term used in various ways to convey the idea of promptness and force.
- (n.) Among some tribes of North American Indians, the act of striking or touching an enemy in warfare with the hand or at close quarters, as with a short stick, in such a manner as by custom to entitle the doer to count the deed an act of bravery; hence, any of various other deeds recognized by custom as acts of bravery or honor.
- (n.) A single roll of the wheel at roulette, or a deal at rouge et noir.
- (v. i.) To make a coup.
• Coupee Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A motion in dancing, when one leg is a little bent, and raised from the floor, and with the other a forward motion is made.
• Couple Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) One of the pairs of plates of two metals which compose a voltaic battery; -- called a voltaic couple or galvanic couple.
- (a.) See Couple-close.
- (v. i.) To come together as male and female; to copulate.
- (a.) Two rotations, movements, etc., which are equal in amount but opposite in direction, and acting along parallel lines or around parallel axes.
- (a.) A male and female associated together; esp., a man and woman who are married or betrothed.
- (v.) To link or tie, as one thing to another; to connect or fasten together; to join.
- (a.) That which joins or links two things together; a bond or tie; a coupler.
- (a.) Two of the same kind connected or considered together; a pair; a brace.
- (v.) To join in wedlock; to marry.