• Crest Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The upper curve of a horses neck.
- (n.) The summit of a hill or mountain ridge.
- (n.) The plume of feathers, or other decoration, worn on a helmet; the distinctive ornament of a helmet, indicating the rank of the wearer; hence, also, the helmet.
- (n.) The helm or head, as typical of a high spirit; pride; courage.
- (v. t.) To furnish with, or surmount as, a crest; to serve as a crest for.
- (v. i.) To form a crest.
- (n.) The ridge or top of a wave.
- (v. t.) To mark with lines or streaks, like, or regarded as like, waving plumes.
- (n.) The ornamental finishing which surmounts the ridge of a roof, canopy, etc.
- (n.) The top line of a slope or embankment.
- (n.) A tuft, or other excrescence or natural ornament, growing on an animals head; the comb of a cock; the swelling on the head of a serpent; the lengthened feathers of the crown or nape of bird, etc.
- (n.) A bearing worn, not upon the shield, but usually above it, or separately as an ornament for plate, liveries, and the like. It is a relic of the ancient cognizance. See Cognizance, 4.
• Crested Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Crest
- (a.) Bearing any elevated appendage like a crest, as an elevated line or ridge, or a tuft.
- (a.) Having a crest of feathers or hair upon the head.
- (a.) Having a crest.