• Discourage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Lack of courage; cowardliness.
- (v. t.) To dishearten one with respect to; to discountenance; to seek to check by disfavoring; to deter one from; as, they discouraged his efforts.
- (v. t.) To extinguish the courage of; to dishearten; to depress the spirits of; to deprive of confidence; to deject; -- the opposite of encourage; as, he was discouraged in his undertaking; he need not be discouraged from a like attempt.
• Discourager Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who discourages.
• Discouragement Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which discourages; that which deters, or tends to deter, from an undertaking, or from the prosecution of anything; a determent; as, the revolution was commenced under every possible discouragement.
- (n.) The act of discouraging, or the state of being discouraged; depression or weakening of confidence; dejection.