• Exhausting Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Producing exhaustion; as, exhausting labors.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Exhaust
• Exhaust Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To draw or let out wholly; to drain off completely; as, to exhaust the water of a well; the moisture of the earth is exhausted by evaporation.
- (v. t.) To empty by drawing or letting out the contents; as, to exhaust a well, or a treasury.
- (v. t.) To bring out or develop completely; to discuss thoroughly; as, to exhaust a subject.
- (n.) The steam let out of a cylinder after it has done its work there.
- (a.) Pertaining to steam, air, gas, etc., that is released from the cylinder of an engine after having preformed its work.
- (n.) The foul air let out of a room through a register or pipe provided for the purpose.
- (v. t.) To drain, metaphorically; to use or expend wholly, or till the supply comes to an end; to deprive wholly of strength; to use up; to weary or tire out; to wear out; as, to exhaust ones strength, patience, or resources.
- (v. t.) To subject to the action of various solvents in order to remove all soluble substances or extractives; as, to exhaust a drug successively with water, alcohol, and ether.
- (a.) Drained; exhausted; having expended or lost its energy.