• Girdle Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The line ofgreatest circumference of a brilliant-cut diamond, at which it is grasped by the setting. See Illust. of Brilliant.
- (n.) The zodiac; also, the equator.
- (v. t.) To inclose; to environ; to shut in.
- (n.) A griddle.
- (n.) A thin bed or stratum of stone.
- (n.) The clitellus of an earthworm.
- (v. t.) To make a cut or gnaw a groove around (a tree, etc.) through the bark and alburnum, thus killing it.
- (n.) That which girds, encircles, or incloses; a circumference; a belt; esp., a belt, sash, or article of dress encircling the body usually at the waist; a cestus.
- (v. t.) To bind with a belt or sash; to gird.
• Girdled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Girdle
• Girdler Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A maker of girdles.
- (n.) An American longicorn beetle (Oncideres cingulatus) which lays its eggs in the twigs of the hickory, and then girdles each branch by gnawing a groove around it, thus killing it to provide suitable food for the larvae.
- (n.) One who girdles.