Gripe Meaning in French
You have searched the English word Gripe meaning in French coliques. Gripe meaning has been search 2956 (two thousand nine hundred and fifty-six) times till 8/8/2022. You can also find Gripe meaning and Translation in Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Spanish, French and other languages.
Definition & Synonyms
Definition & Meaning
- (n.) Oppression; cruel exaction; affiction; pinching distress; as, the gripe of poverty.
- (v. i.) To clutch, hold, or pinch a thing, esp. money, with a gripe or as with a gripe.
- (n.) An assemblage of ropes, dead-eyes, and hocks, fastened to ringbolts in the deck, to secure the boats when hoisted; also, broad bands passed around a boat to secure it at the davits and prevent swinging.
- (v. t.) To seize and hold fast; to embrace closely.
- (n.) Grasp; seizure; fast hold; clutch.
- (n.) The piece of timber which terminates the keel at the fore end; the forefoot.
- (v. t.) To pinch; to distress. Specifically, to cause pinching and spasmodic pain to the bowels of, as by the effects of certain purgative or indigestible substances.
- (n.) The compass or sharpness of a ships stern under the water, having a tendency to make her keep a good wind.
- (n.) That on which the grasp is put; a handle; a grip; as, the gripe of a sword.
- (n.) Pinching and spasmodic pain in the intestines; -- chiefly used in the plural.
- (v. i.) To suffer griping pains.
- (v. t.) To catch with the hand; to clasp closely with the fingers; to clutch.
- (v. i.) To tend to come up into the wind, as a ship which, when sailing closehauled, requires constant labor at the helm.
- (n.) A vulture; the griffin.
- (n.) A device for grasping or holding anything; a brake to stop a wheel.
Multi Language Dictionary