• Halt Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To hold ones self from proceeding; to hold up; to cease progress; to stop for a longer or shorter period; to come to a stop; to stand still.
- (n.) The act of limping; lameness.
- (v. i.) To stand in doubt whether to proceed, or what to do; to hesitate; to be uncertain.
- (a.) To have an irregular rhythm; to be defective.
- (a.) To walk lamely; to limp.
- (v. t.) To cause to cease marching; to stop; as, the general halted his troops for refreshment.
- (a.) Halting or stopping in walking; lame.
- () 3d pers. sing. pres. of Hold, contraction for holdeth.
- (n.) A stop in marching or walking, or in any action; arrest of progress.
• Halted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Halt
• Halter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who halts or limps; a cripple.
- (n.) A strong strap or cord.
- (n.) A rope or strap, with or without a headstall, for leading or tying a horse.
- (n.) A rope for hanging malefactors; a noose.
- (v. t.) To tie by the neck with a rope, strap, or halter; to put a halter on; to subject to a hangmans halter.