Long Meaning in French
You have searched the English word Long meaning in French long. Long meaning has been search 3603 (three thousand six hundred and three) times till 10/15/2021. You can also find Long meaning and Translation in Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Spanish, French and other languages.
Definition & Synonyms
Definition & Meaning
• Long primer
Definition & Meaning
- (n.) A long sound, syllable, or vowel.
- (prep.) By means of; by the fault of; because of.
- (adv.) At a point of duration far distant, either prior or posterior; as, not long before; not long after; long before the foundation of Rome; long after the Conquest.
- (superl.) Slow in passing; causing weariness by length or duration; lingering; as, long hours of watching.
- (superl.) Occurring or coming after an extended interval; distant in time; far away.
- (superl.) Far-reaching; extensive.
- (adv.) Through an extent of time, more or less; -- only in question; as, how long will you be gone?
- (superl.) Drawn out in a line, or in the direction of length; protracted; extended; as, a long line; -- opposed to short, and distinguished from broad or wide.
- (n.) The longest dimension; the greatest extent; -- in the phrase, the long and the short of it, that is, the sum and substance of it.
- (superl.) Extended to any specified measure; of a specified length; as, a span long; a yard long; a mile long, that is, extended to the measure of a mile, etc.
- (a.) To belong; -- used with to, unto, or for.
- (superl.) Drawn out or extended in time; continued through a considerable tine, or to a great length; as, a long series of events; a long debate; a long drama; a long history; a long book.
- (n.) A note formerly used in music, one half the length of a large, twice that of a breve.
- (adv.) Through the whole extent or duration.
- (superl.) Prolonged, or relatively more prolonged, in utterance; -- said of vowels and syllables. See Short, a., 13, and Guide to Pronunciation, // 22, 30.
- (a.) To feel a strong or morbid desire or craving; to wish for something with eagerness; -- followed by an infinitive, or by after or for.
- (adv.) To a great extent in time; during a long time.
- (adv.) To a great extent in apace; as, a long drawn out line.
- (a.) Having a supply of stocks or goods; prepared for, or depending for a profit upon, advance in prices; as, long of cotton. Hence, the phrases: to be, or go, long of the market, to be on the long side of the market, to hold products or securities for a rise in price, esp. when bought on a margin.
- () A kind of type, in size between small pica and bourgeois.
Multi Language Dictionary