• Mains Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The farm attached to a mansion house.
• Main Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Vast; huge.
- (a.) Important; necessary.
- (n.) A hand or match at dice.
- (v.) The chief or principal part; the main or most important thing.
- (n.) A match at cockfighting.
- (a.) Unqualified; absolute; entire; sheer.
- (v.) The great sea, as distinguished from an arm, bay, etc. ; the high sea; the ocean.
- (a.) Very or extremely strong.
- (v.) The continent, as distinguished from an island; the mainland.
- (a.) Principal; chief; first in size, rank, importance, etc.
- (v.) Strength; force; might; violent effort.
- (v.) principal duct or pipe, as distinguished from lesser ones; esp. (Engin.), a principal pipe leading to or from a reservoir; as, a fire main.
- (n.) The largest throw in a match at dice; a throw at dice within given limits, as in the game of hazard.
- (a.) Very; extremely; as, main heavy.
- (n.) A main-hamper.
- (n.) A stake played for at dice.
• Mainspring Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The principal or most important spring in a piece of mechanism, especially the moving spring of a watch or clock or the spring in a gunlock which impels the hammer. Hence: The chief or most powerful motive; the efficient cause of action.
• Mainsheet Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of the ropes by which the mainsail is hauled aft and trimmed.