• Mated Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Mate
• Mat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A name given by coppersmiths to an alloy of copper, tin, iron, etc., usually called white metal.
- (n.) A fabric of sedge, rushes, flags, husks, straw, hemp, or similar material, used for wiping and cleaning shoes at the door, for covering the floor of a hall or room, and for other purposes.
- (n.) Anything growing thickly, or closely interwoven, so as to resemble a mat in form or texture; as, a mat of weeds; a mat of hair.
- (v. t.) To twist, twine, or felt together; to interweave into, or like, a mat; to entangle.
- (v. t.) To cover or lay with mats.
- (a.) Cast down; dejected; overthrown; slain.
- (v. i.) To grow thick together; to become interwoven or felted together like a mat.
- (n.) Any similar fabric for various uses, as for covering plant houses, putting beneath dishes or lamps on a table, securing rigging from friction, and the like.
- (n.) An ornamental border made of paper, pasterboard, metal, etc., put under the glass which covers a framed picture; as, the mat of a daguerreotype.
• Mate Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To confuse; to confound.
- (n.) One who customarily associates with another; a companion; an associate; any object which is associated or combined with a similar object.
- (n.) The Paraguay tea, being the dried leaf of the Brazilian holly (Ilex Paraguensis). The infusion has a pleasant odor, with an agreeable bitter taste, and is much used for tea in South America.
- (n.) Same as Checkmate.
- (v. t.) To match ones self against; to oppose as equal; to compete with.
- (n.) Hence, specifically, a husband or wife; and among the lower animals, one of a pair associated for propagation and the care of their young.
- (n.) An officer in a merchant vessel ranking next below the captain. If there are more than one bearing the title, they are called, respectively, first mate, second mate, third mate, etc. In the navy, a subordinate officer or assistant; as, masters mate; surgeons mate.
- (v. t.) To checkmate.
- (v. t.) To match; to marry.
- (a.) See 2d Mat.
- (v. i.) To be or become a mate or mates, especially in sexual companionship; as, some birds mate for life; this bird will not mate with that one.
- (n.) A suitable companion; a match; an equal.
, Paraguay tea