• Mattered Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Matter
• Matter Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To form pus or matter, as an abscess; to maturate.
- (n.) That which is permanent, or is supposed to be given, and in or upon which changes are effected by psychological or physical processes and relations; -- opposed to form.
- (n.) Affair worthy of account; thing of consequence; importance; significance; moment; -- chiefly in the phrases what matter ? no matter, and the like.
- (n.) Substance excreted from living animal bodies; that which is thrown out or discharged in a tumor, boil, or abscess; pus; purulent substance.
- (n.) Written manuscript, or anything to be set in type; copy; also, type set up and ready to be used, or which has been used, in printing.
- (n.) That of which anything is composed; constituent substance; material; the material or substantial part of anything; the constituent elements of conception; that into which a notion may be analyzed; the essence; the pith; the embodiment.
- (v. i.) To be of importance; to import; to signify.
- (v. t.) To regard as important; to take account of; to care for.
- (n.) That which one has to treat, or with which one has to do; concern; affair; business.
- (n.) Inducing cause or occasion, especially of anything disagreeable or distressing; difficulty; trouble.
- (n.) That of which the sensible universe and all existent bodies are composed; anything which has extension, occupies space, or is perceptible by the senses; body; substance.
- (n.) Amount; quantity; portion; space; -- often indefinite.
- (n.) That with regard to, or about which, anything takes place or is done; the thing aimed at, treated of, or treated; subject of action, discussion, consideration, feeling, complaint, legal action, or the like; theme.