• Part Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A constituent portion of a living or spiritual whole; a member; an organ; an essential element.
- (v. i.) To be broken or divided into parts or pieces; to break; to become separated; to go asunder; as, rope parts; his hair parts in the middle.
- (n.) One of the opposing parties or sides in a conflict or a controversy; a faction.
- (v. i.) To perform an act of parting; to relinquish a connection of any kind; -- followed by with or from.
- (adv.) Partly; in a measure.
- (n.) To divide; to separate into distinct parts; to break into two or more parts or pieces; to sever.
- (n.) Such portion of any quantity, as when taken a certain number of times, will exactly make that quantity; as, 3 is a part of 12; -- the opposite of multiple. Also, a line or other element of a geometrical figure.
- (n.) To separate by a process of extraction, elimination, or secretion; as, to part gold from silver.
- (n.) A constituent of character or capacity; quality; faculty; talent; -- usually in the plural with a collective sense.
- (n.) That which belongs to one, or which is assumed by one, or which falls to one, in a division or apportionment; share; portion; lot; interest; concern; duty; office.
- (n.) An equal constituent portion; one of several or many like quantities, numbers, etc., into which anything is divided, or of which it is composed; proportional division or ingredient.
- (n.) Hence: To hold apart; to stand between; to intervene betwixt, as combatants.
- (n.) A particular character in a drama or a play; an assumed personification; also, the language, actions, and influence of a character or an actor in a play; or, figuratively, in real life. See To act a part, under Act.
- (n.) To divide into shares; to divide and distribute; to allot; to apportion; to share.
- (n.) To separate or disunite; to cause to go apart; to remove from contact or contiguity; to sunder.
- (v. i.) To go away; to depart; to take leave; to quit each other; hence, to die; -- often with from.
- (n.) To leave; to quit.
- (n.) One of the different melodies of a concerted composition, which heard in union compose its harmony; also, the music for each voice or instrument; as, the treble, tenor, or bass part; the violin part, etc.
- (n.) One of the portions, equal or unequal, into which anything is divided, or regarded as divided; something less than a whole; a number, quantity, mass, or the like, regarded as going to make up, with others, a larger number, quantity, mass, etc., whether actually separate or not; a piece; a fragment; a fraction; a division; a member; a constituent.
- (v. i.) To have a part or share; to partake.
- (n.) Quarter; region; district; -- usually in the plural.
• Partable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) See Partible.