• Rate Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The order or class to which a war vessel belongs, determined according to its size, armament, etc.; as, first rate, second rate, etc.
- (n.) That which is established as a measure or criterion; degree; standard; rank; proportion; ratio; as, a slow rate of movement; rate of interest is the ratio of the interest to the principal, per annum.
- (v. i.) To make an estimate.
- (v. t.) To settle the relative scale, rank, position, amount, value, or quality of; as, to rate a ship; to rate a seaman; to rate a pension.
- (v. t.) To assess for the payment of a rate or tax.
- (n.) Ratification; approval.
- (v. t. & i.) To chide with vehemence; to scold; to censure violently.
- (v. t.) To ratify.
- (v. i.) To be set or considered in a class; to have rank; as, the ship rates as a ship of the line.
- (v. t.) To set a certain estimate on; to value at a certain price or degree.
- (n.) The class of a merchant vessel for marine insurance, determined by its relative safety as a risk, as A1, A2, etc.
- (n.) The gain or loss of a timepiece in a unit of time; as, daily rate; hourly rate; etc.
- (n.) Order; arrangement.
- (n.) Valuation; price fixed with relation to a standard; cost; charge; as, high or low rates of transportation.
- (n.) A tax or sum assessed by authority on property for public use, according to its income or value; esp., in England, a local tax; as, parish rates; town rates.
- (n.) Established portion or measure; fixed allowance.
• Ratel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any carnivore of the genus Mellivora, allied to the weasels and the skunks; -- called also honey badger.
• Rateable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) See Ratable.