• Relief Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Release from a post, or from the performance of duty, by the intervention of others, by discharge, or by relay; as, a relief of a sentry.
- (n.) A fine or composition which the heir of a deceased tenant paid to the lord for the privilege of taking up the estate, which, on strict feudal principles, had lapsed or fallen to the lord on the death of the tenant.
- (n.) The appearance of projection given by shading, shadow, etc., to any figure.
- (n.) The projection of a figure above the ground or plane on which it is formed.
- (n.) The elevations and surface undulations of a country.
- (n.) The act of relieving, or the state of being relieved; the removal, or partial removal, of any evil, or of anything oppressive or burdensome, by which some ease is obtained; succor; alleviation; comfort; ease; redress.
- (n.) The height to which works are raised above the bottom of the ditch.
- (n.) That which removes or lessens evil, pain, discomfort, uneasiness, etc.; that which gives succor, aid, or comfort; also, the person who relieves from performance of duty by taking the place of another; a relay.
• Reliefless Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Destitute of relief; also, remediless.