• Sizing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of sorting with respect to size.
- (n.) The act of bringing anything to a certain size.
- (n.) Act of covering or treating with size.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Size
- (n.) Food and drink ordered from the buttery by a student.
- (n.) A weak glue used in various trades; size.
• Size Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To fix the standard of.
- (n.) A conventional relative measure of dimension, as for shoes, gloves, and other articles made up for sale.
- (v. t.) To bring or adjust anything exactly to a required dimension, as by cutting.
- (v. i.) To order food or drink from the buttery; hence, to enter a score, as upon the buttery book.
- (n.) Extent of superficies or volume; bulk; bigness; magnitude; as, the size of a tree or of a mast; the size of a ship or of a rock.
- (n.) Figurative bulk; condition as to rank, ability, character, etc.; as, the office demands a man of larger size.
- (v. t.) To swell; to increase the bulk of.
- (v. i.) Any viscous substance, as gilders varnish.
- (v. t.) To sift, as pieces of ore or metal, in order to separate the finer from the coarser parts.
- (n.) An allowance of food and drink from the buttery, aside from the regular dinner at commons; -- corresponding to battel at Oxford.
- (v. i.) To take greater size; to increase in size.
- (n.) A settled quantity or allowance. See Assize.
- (v. t.) To take the height of men, in order to place them in the ranks according to their stature.
- (v. i.) A thin, weak glue used in various trades, as in painting, bookbinding, paper making, etc.
- (v. t.) To adjust or arrange according to size or bulk.
- (n.) Six.
- (n.) An instrument consisting of a number of perforated gauges fastened together at one end by a rivet, -- used for ascertaining the size of pearls.
- (v. t.) To cover with size; to prepare with size.