• Spit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To rain or snow slightly, or with sprinkles.
- (v. i.) To attend to a spit; to use a spit.
- (n.) To thrust a spit through; to fix upon a spit; hence, to thrust through or impale; as, to spit a loin of veal.
- (n.) To spade; to dig.
- (n.) A small point of land running into the sea, or a long, narrow shoal extending from the shore into the sea; as, a spit of sand.
- (n.) To eject; to throw out; to belch.
- (n.) A long, slender, pointed rod, usually of iron, for holding meat while roasting.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Spit
- (n.) To eject from the mouth; to throw out, as saliva or other matter, from the mouth.
- (v. i.) To throw out saliva from the mouth.
- (n.) The secretion formed by the glands of the mouth; spitle; saliva; sputum.
- (n.) The depth to which a spade goes in digging; a spade; a spadeful.
• Spit ball Definition & Synonyms
- () A pitched ball in throwing which the pitcher grips the ball between two, or three, fingers on one side (which is made slippery, as by saliva) and the thumb on the other side, and delivers it so that it slips off the fingers with the least possible friction. When pitched directly overhand a spit ball darts downward, when pitched with the arm extended sidewise it darts down and out.