• Standard Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An upright support, as one of the poles of a scaffold; any upright in framing.
- (n.) The upper petal or banner of a papilionaceous corolla.
- (a.) Hence: Having a recognized and permanent value; as, standard works in history; standard authors.
- (a.) Being, affording, or according with, a standard for comparison and judgment; as, standard time; standard weights and measures; a standard authority as to nautical terms; standard gold or silver.
- (n.) That which is established as a rule or model by authority, custom, or general consent; criterion; test.
- (n.) That which is established by authority as a rule for the measure of quantity, extent, value, or quality; esp., the original specimen weight or measure sanctioned by government, as the standard pound, gallon, or yard.
- (n.) A large drinking cup.
- (n.) The proportion of weights of fine metal and alloy established by authority.
- (n.) The sheth of a plow.
- (n.) An inverted knee timber placed upon the deck instead of beneath it, with its vertical branch turned upward from that which lies horizontally.
- (n.) A flag; colors; a banner; especially, a national or other ensign.
- (a.) Not supported by, or fastened to, a wall; as, standard fruit trees.
- (a.) Not of the dwarf kind; as, a standard pear tree.
- (n.) A tree of natural size supported by its own stem, and not dwarfed by grafting on the stock of a smaller species nor trained upon a wall or trellis.
• Standardize Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To reduce to a normal standard; to calculate or adjust the strength of, by means of, and for uses in, analysis.
• Standard-wing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A curious paradise bird (Semioptera Wallacii) which has two long special feathers standing erect on each wing.