Stigma Meaning in French
You have searched the English word Stigma meaning in French stigmate. Stigma meaning has been search 2645 (two thousand six hundred and forty-five) times till 12/7/2021. You can also find Stigma meaning and Translation in Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Spanish, French and other languages.
Definition & Synonyms
Definition & Meaning
- (v. t.) That part of a pistil which has no epidermis, and is fitted to receive the pollen. It is usually the terminal portion, and is commonly somewhat glutinous or viscid. See Illust. of Stamen and of Flower.
- (v. t.) Any mark of infamy or disgrace; sign of moral blemish; stain or reproach caused by dishonorable conduct; reproachful characterization.
- (v. t.) A mark made with a burning iron; a brand.
- (v. t.) A small spot, mark, scar, or a minute hole; -- applied especially to a spot on the outer surface of a Graafian follicle, and to spots of intercellular substance in scaly epithelium, or to minute holes in such spots.
- (v. t.) One of the external openings of the tracheae of insects, myriapods, and other arthropods; a spiracle.
- (v. t.) One of the apertures of the pulmonary sacs of arachnids. See Illust. of Scorpion.
- (v. t.) One of the apertures of the gill of an ascidian, and of Amphioxus.
- (v. t.) A point so connected by any law whatever with another point, called an index, that as the index moves in any manner in a plane the first point or stigma moves in a determinate way in the same plane.
- (v. t.) Marks believed to have been supernaturally impressed upon the bodies of certain persons in imitation of the wounds on the crucified body of Christ. See def. 5, above.
- (v. t.) A red speck upon the skin, produced either by the extravasation of blood, as in the bloody sweat characteristic of certain varieties of religious ecstasy, or by capillary congestion, as in the case of drunkards.
Multi Language Dictionary