• Strait Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Strict; scrupulous; rigorous.
- (a.) A (comparatively) narrow passageway connecting two large bodies of water; -- often in the plural; as, the strait, or straits, of Gibraltar; the straits of Magellan; the strait, or straits, of Mackinaw.
- (superl.) Close; intimate; near; familiar.
- (a.) A narrow pass or passage.
- (a.) Fig.: A condition of narrowness or restriction; doubt; distress; difficulty; poverty; perplexity; -- sometimes in the plural; as, reduced to great straits.
- (superl.) Parsimonious; niggargly; mean.
- (superl.) Narrow; not broad.
- (superl.) Difficult; distressful; straited.
- (a.) A neck of land; an isthmus.
- (a.) A variant of Straight.
- (v. t.) To put to difficulties.
- (superl.) Tight; close; closely fitting.
- (adv.) Strictly; rigorously.
• Straits Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Strait
• Strait-jacket Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A dress of strong materials for restraining maniacs or those who are violently delirious. It has long sleeves, which are closed at the ends, confining the hands, and may be tied behind the back.