• Surrounding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Surround
- (n.) The things which surround or environ; external or attending circumstances or conditions.
- (a.) Inclosing; encircling.
- (n.) An encompassing.
• Surround Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To lie or be on all sides of; to encircle; as, a wall surrounds the city.
- (v. t.) To inclose, as a body of troops, between hostile forces, so as to cut off means of communication or retreat; to invest, as a city.
- (v. t.) To pass around; to travel about; to circumnavigate; as, to surround the world.
- (v. t.) To inclose on all sides; to encompass; to environ.
- (n.) A method of hunting some animals, as the buffalo, by surrounding a herd, and driving them over a precipice, into a ravine, etc.