1. Wash the rice in several changes of cold water, drain and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick wok or frying pan and when it is hot add the shallots, mustard seeds, dried red chillies, curry leaves, cassia or cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf.
3. Stir and fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the drained rice.
4. Stir gently to coat the rice with the spice mixture, then add the aubergine and turmeric.
5. Stir to mix well and pour in the measured water.
6. Season well and bring to the boil.
7. Cover tightly, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 12-15 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and allow to stand, covered and undisturbed for another 10 minutes.
9. Squeeze over the lemon juice, add the pepper, fluff up the grains of rice with a fork and sprinkle over the cahsew nuts and fresh coriander.
10. Serve immediately.