1. Heat 5 cups water.
2. Add the lamb, ginger powder, aniseed powder, asafoetida, and salt.
3. Cook covered on high heat until the lamb is almost done.
4. Separate the lamb from the stock. Put both aside.
5. Heat the ghee in a deep pot, add all the ingredients from cloves to almonds, and the lamb.
6. Saute for a minute, add rice and saute further for 1 minute.
7. Add 6 cups of stock (adding water if needed) and stir gently.
8. Mix saffron with a little hot water and grind.
9. Add to the pot, cook covered on high heat until the water is almost absorbed.
10. Place the pot on a griddle (tawa), cook covered on low heat, till the rice is done.
11. Sprinkle garam masala and serve.