1. Wash and soak ochre lentils for 20 minutes.
2. Boil in just enough water with turmeric, till tender.
3. Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes. Bring water to boil.
4. Parboil rice with a little salt.
5. Drain the rice and set aside. Heat the oil.
6. Fry onions till golden brown.
7. Remove half and set aside. Add ginger and garlic paste and fry till golden.
8. Add turmeric and stir; add lentils and red chilli powder.
9. Cook for three minutes. Take a heavy-bottomed pan and brush a little oil in it. Spread half the parboiled rice; spread the lentils over the rice.
10. Sprinkle the ground spices.
11. Spread half of the coriander, mint and green chillies. Cover with remaining rice.
12. Sprinkle the fried onions, the rest of the coriander, mint leaves and green chillies and dot the rice with ghee.
13. Cook for about 10 minutes.