1. Soak all three grains overnight.
2. Fry the meat in oil. Add 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. Turmeric (Haldi) powder, 1 tsp. chili powder, bay leaf and 6-8 glasses of water. Cover and leave on low flame to tenderize until the meat is extremely soft.
3. Meanwhile, put the grains and dal in a pot with 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp chili powder and ½ tsp Turmeric (Haldi). Add water and cook on low flame till very soft.
4. When meat and the grains are soft then mix them together leave on a very low flame and keep mashing rigorously and mixing. It is ready when starts to boil and becomes bubbly.
5. Fry onion in oil (for Baghar) and for garnishing add the oil to the mixture and keep aside the fried onion for garnishing.
6. Remove from heat and serve with garam masala, fresh Coriander (Dhaniya) leaves, green chilies, fried onion and lemon.
Note: whenever frying onion for "Baghar" or as accompaniment with Khichra, fry on very low heat.