1. Cook the rice in four cups of water till just done.
2. Drain and spread on a plate to cool, making sure that the grains do not stick to each other.
3. Heat 1/2 teaspoon ghee in a pan, add peppercorns & asafoetida & saute over low heat for half a minute.
4. Add the cumin seeds and saute for a half a minute longer.
5. Cool and grind to a coarse powder.
6. Stir the spice powder into the rice.
7. Heat one teaspoon of ghee in a small pan, add the mustard seeds.
8. When they begin to splutter, add the curry leaves and remove the pan from heat.
9. Pour the spices over the rice and mix.
10. Add the remaining ghee and salt and mix well.
11. Serve at room temperature.