1. Boil lentils with 4 cups water.
2. When tender, drain all the water from it and put the lentils in a pan.
3. Place this pan on a heavy griddle (tava).
4. Cover the pan and cook on low heat.
5. Add asafoetida or black salt and red chilies pods.
6. Pour in milk and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle chopped mint leaves, ginger and green chilies on it, place it in serving dish.
8. Now heat banaspati in a frying pan and fry the sliced onions on very low heat until crisp and golden.
9. Immediately pour them on the lentils. Serve hot.