3 cups Cooked Split Peas
• ½ cup Onion (Pyaaz) (finely chopped)
• ½ cup Carrots (Gaajar) (finely chopped)
• ½ cup Celery (finely chopped)
• 3/4 cup Tomatoes (finely pureed) (or you may use 1/2 cup of Canned Tomato Puree
• A bunch of Fresh Coriander/Cilantro Leaves (Hara Dhania) (for garnish)
• 1 tbsp. Curry Powder
• 1/4 tsp. Grounded Black Peppers (Pisi Kaali Mirch)
• 1 cup Water
• ½ cup Light Cream or Whole Milk
• 5 tsp. Clarified Butter (Ghee) or Cooking Oil
In a large pot heat the ghee or oil over medium-high heat. When oil is very hot, add in the curry powder, chopped onions, carrots and celery. Saute the vegetables, stirring often to ensure that they brown evenly, for about 5 minutes.
Add 1 cup of water, tomatoes, split peas, black peppers and salt. Mix and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender (for about 10 minutes). Then add the light cream or milk (enough to mellow and velvetize the soup as well as thin it).
Heat the soup throughly, garnish with the chopped coriander/cilantro leaves and serve.
Note: Yield: 6 Servings, Degree of Difficulty: Medium