Manganese is chemical element with the symbol Mn and atomic
weight 25. Manganese is not found in nature as a free element and often found in
minerals in combination with iron, being a transition metal it is used as
industrial alloy particularly in stainless steels. Manganese is an essential
mineral for our body which is involved in many chemical processes like
processing of cholesterol, carbohydrates and protein. It also plays its role in
free redial defense systems in our body.
Biological Role of Manganese in Human Body :
Being an essential human dietary element Manganese plays very important role in
our body. It is present as a coenzyme in several biological processes, which
include macro nutrient metabolism, bone formation. it also possesses antioxidant
properties and provide free radical defense systems in our body. It is a
critical component in dozens of proteins and enzymes. The human body contains
about 12 mg of manganese, mostly in the bones. The soft tissue remainder is
concentrated in the liver and kidneys. In the human brain, the manganese is
bound to manganese metalloproteinase.
Health Benefits of Manganese
Important health benefits of Manganese are listed below :
1. Involves in many chemical process in our body like macro nutrient metabolism
and bone formation.
2. Supports bone health.
3. Improves growth in children.
4. May help lower blood sugar.
5. Helps in healing wounds.
6. Helpful in reducing weight
7. May helpful in reducing symptoms of PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome)
8. Helps form an antioxidant enzyme called superoxide dismutase (SOD)
Dietary Sources of Manganese:
Following are important dietary sources of Manganese :
1. Pineapple and pineapple juice
3. Spinach and other leafy green vegetables.
4. Whole grains.
5. Black and green teas
6. Sweet potato
7. Nuts like almonds and peanuts
8. Brown rice
9. Raisin bran
10. Whole wheat bread