Methods of Stop Nails butting in children and adults
Nail biting, also known as onychophagia or onychophagy , is an oral compulsive habit. It is sometimes described as a para functional activity, the common use of the mouth with nails for an activity other than speaking, eating, or drinking.
Nail biting is very common, especially among children. Less innocent forms of nails biting are considered an impulse control disorder but now DSM-V classified under obsessive-compulsive and related disorders . The ICD-10 classifies the practice as "other specified behavioral and emotional disorders with onset usually occurring in childhood and adolescence.
Methods of Stop Nails butting
1. Always keep your nails neat and trimmed. Long nails tend to get in the way and tempt you to bite them.
2. Use mint chewing gums or flavored candies as a distraction. They keep your mouth busy and distracts the mind away from your nails.
3. Apply a few drops of neem oil on your fingers and let them dry. The bitter taste of neem oil will stop involuntary nail biting to an extent.
4. Keep a stress ball handy. Use it to distract yourself whenever you feel like biting your nails.
5. Even if this practice cannot be followed throughout the day, make sure to use gloves or adhesive bandages whenever possible. The fact that you will not be able to bite your nails will register in your mind and kill the habit slowly.
6. If you are okay with it, use nail polish to style your fingernails. This encourages you to grow nails
7. Stress is a major factor that induces nail-biting in certain people. You will notice that you do not bite nails much when your mind is fresh and relaxed.as well.