• Burn Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The operation or result of burning or baking, as in brickmaking; as, they have a good burn.
- (v. t.) To make or produce, as an effect or result, by the application of fire or heat; as, to burn a hole; to burn charcoal; to burn letters into a block.
- (v. i.) To combine energetically, with evolution of heat; as, copper burns in chlorine.
- (v. i.) To suffer from, or be scorched by, an excess of heat.
- (v. i.) To have a condition, quality, appearance, sensation, or emotion, as if on fire or excessively heated; to act or rage with destructive violence; to be in a state of lively emotion or strong desire; as, the face burns; to burn with fever.
- (n.) A hurt, injury, or effect caused by fire or excessive or intense heat.
- (v. t.) To consume with fire; to reduce to ashes by the action of heat or fire; -- frequently intensified by up: as, to burn up wood.
- (n.) A small stream.
- (v. t.) To injure by fire or heat; to change destructively some property or properties of, by undue exposure to fire or heat; to scorch; to scald; to blister; to singe; to char; to sear; as, to burn steel in forging; to burn ones face in the sun; the sun burns the grass.
- (v. t.) To perfect or improve by fire or heat; to submit to the action of fire or heat for some economic purpose; to destroy or change some property or properties of, by exposure to fire or heat in due degree for obtaining a desired residuum, product, or effect; to bake; as, to burn clay in making bricks or pottery; to burn wood so as to produce charcoal; to burn limestone for the lime.
- (n.) A disease in vegetables. See Brand, n., 6.
- (v. t.) To cause to combine with oxygen or other active agent, with evolution of heat; to consume; to oxidize; as, a man burns a certain amount of carbon at each respiration; to burn iron in oxygen.
- (v. i.) To be of fire; to flame.
- (v. i.) In certain games, to approach near to a concealed object which is sought.
- (v. t.) To apply a cautery to; to cauterize.
- (v. t.) To consume, injure, or change the condition of, as if by action of fire or heat; to affect as fire or heat does; as, to burn the mouth with pepper.
• Burner Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, burns or sets fire to anything.
- (n.) The part of a lamp, gas fixture, etc., where the flame is produced.
• Burnoose Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Burnous