• Collar Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The neck or line of junction between the root of a plant and its stem.
- (n.) A ringlike part of a mollusk in connection with esophagus.
- (n.) An eye formed in the bight or bend of a shroud or stay to go over the masthead; also, a rope to which certain parts of rigging, as dead-eyes, are secured.
- (v. t.) To seize by the collar.
- (v. t.) To put a collar on.
- (n.) A curb, or a horizontal timbering, around the mouth of a shaft.
- (n.) Something worn round the neck, whether for use, ornament, restraint, or identification; as, the collar of a coat; a ladys collar; the collar of a dog.
- (n.) A ring or round flange upon, surrounding, or against an object, and used for restraining motion within given limits, or for holding something to its place, or for hiding an opening around an object; as, a collar on a shaft, used to prevent endwise motion of the shaft; a collar surrounding a stovepipe at the place where it enters a wall. The flanges of a piston and the gland of a stuffing box are sometimes called collars.
- (n.) A collar beam.
- (n.) An ornament worn round the neck by knights, having on it devices to designate their rank or order.
- (n.) A ring or cincture.
- (n.) A colored ring round the neck of a bird or mammal.
• Collards Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) Young cabbage, used as "greens"; esp. a kind cultivated for that purpose; colewort.
• Collared Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Wearing a collar.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Collar
- (a.) Wearing a collar; -- said of a man or beast used as a bearing when a collar is represented as worn around the neck or loins.
- (a.) Rolled up and bound close with a string; as, collared beef. See To collar beef, under Collar, v. t.