• Forking Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Fork
• Fork Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To divide into two or more branches; as, a road, a tree, or a stream forks.
- (n.) One of the parts into which anything is furcated or divided; a prong; a branch of a stream, a road, etc.; a barbed point, as of an arrow.
- (n.) An instrument consisting of a handle with a shank terminating in two or more prongs or tines, which are usually of metal, parallel and slightly curved; -- used from piercing, holding, taking up, or pitching anything.
- (n.) The place where a division or a union occurs; the angle or opening between two branches or limbs; as, the fork of a river, a tree, or a road.
- (v. i.) To shoot into blades, as corn.
- (n.) The gibbet.
- (n.) Anything furcate or like a fork in shape, or furcate at the extremity; as, a tuning fork.
- (v. t.) To raise, or pitch with a fork, as hay; to dig or turn over with a fork, as the soil.