• Lose Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To prevent from gaining or obtaining.
- (v. t.) To part with unintentionally or unwillingly, as by accident, misfortune, negligence, penalty, forfeit, etc.; to be deprived of; as, to lose money from ones purse or pocket, or in business or gaming; to lose an arm or a leg by amputation; to lose men in battle.
- (v. i.) To suffer loss, disadvantage, or defeat; to be worse off, esp. as the result of any kind of contest.
- (v. t.) Not to employ; to employ ineffectually; to throw away; to waste; to squander; as, to lose a day; to lose the benefits of instruction.
- (v. t.) To be deprived of the view of; to cease to see or know the whereabouts of; as, he lost his companion in the crowd.
- (v. t.) To cause to part with; to deprive of.
- (v. t.) To wander from; to miss, so as not to be able to and; to go astray from; as, to lose ones way.
- (v. t.) To ruin; to destroy; as destroy; as, the ship was lost on the ledge.
- (v. t.) To cease to have; to possess no longer; to suffer diminution of; as, to lose ones relish for anything; to lose ones health.
- (v. t.) To fail to obtain or enjoy; to fail to gain or win; hence, to fail to catch with the mind or senses; to miss; as, I lost a part of what he said.
• Losengerie Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Flattery; deceit; trickery.