• Match Definition & Synonyms
- (v.) Equality of conditions in contest or competition.
- (v. t.) To make or procure the equal of, or that which is exactly similar to, or corresponds with; as, to match a vase or a horse; to match cloth.
- (v. t.) To fit together, or make suitable for fitting together; specifically, to furnish with a tongue and a groove, at the edges; as, to match boards.
- (n.) Anything used for catching and retaining or communicating fire, made of some substance which takes fire readily, or remains burning some time; esp., a small strip or splint of wood dipped at one end in a substance which can be easily ignited by friction, as a preparation of phosphorus or chlorate of potassium.
- (v.) A candidate for matrimony; one to be gained in marriage.
- (v. t.) To be a mate or match for; to be able to complete with; to rival successfully; to equal.
- (v. t.) To marry; to give in marriage.
- (v. t.) To make equal, proportionate, or suitable; to adapt, fit, or suit (one thing to another).
- (v. i.) To be united in marriage; to mate.
- (v.) A matrimonial union; a marriage.
- (v.) An agreement, compact, etc.
- (v.) A contest to try strength or skill, or to determine superiority; an emulous struggle.
- (v.) Suitable combination or bringing together; that which corresponds or harmonizes with something else; as, the carpet and curtains are a match.
- (v. t.) To furnish with its match; to bring a match, or equal, against; to show an equal competitor to; to set something in competition with, or in opposition to, as equal.
- (v. i.) To be of equal, or similar, size, figure, color, or quality; to tally; to suit; to correspond; as, these vases match.
- (v.) A perforated board, block of plaster, hardened sand, etc., in which a pattern is partly imbedded when a mold is made, for giving shape to the surfaces of separation between the parts of the mold.
- (v.) A person or thing equal or similar to another; one able to mate or cope with another; an equal; a mate.
- (v.) A bringing together of two parties suited to one another, as for a union, a trial of skill or force, a contest, or the like
- (v. t.) To oppose as equal; to contend successfully against.
- () Alt. of race
• Matchmaking Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Busy in making or contriving marriages; as, a matchmaking woman.
- (n.) The act or process of making matches for kindling or burning.
- (n.) The act or process of trying to bring about a marriage for others.
• Match-coat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A coat made of match-cloth.