• Poke Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A bag; a sack; a pocket.
- (v. t.) To thrust or push against or into with anything pointed; hence, to stir up; to excite; as, to poke a fire.
- (n.) A large North American herb of the genus Phytolacca (P. decandra), bearing dark purple juicy berries; -- called also garget, pigeon berry, pocan, and pokeweed. The root and berries have emetic and purgative properties, and are used in medicine. The young shoots are sometimes eaten as a substitute for asparagus, and the berries are said to be used in Europe to color wine.
- (v. t.) To thrust with the horns; to gore.
- (n.) A lazy person; a dawdler; also, a stupid or uninteresting person.
- (n.) The act of poking; a thrust; a jog; as, a poke in the ribs.
- (v. t.) To put a poke on; as, to poke an ox.
- (n.) A long, wide sleeve; -- called also poke sleeve.
- (n.) A contrivance to prevent an animal from leaping or breaking through fences. It consists of a yoke with a pole inserted, pointed forward.
- (v. i.) To search; to feel ones way, as in the dark; to grope; as, to poke about.
• Poked Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Poke