• Tumble Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Act of tumbling, or rolling over; a fall.
- (v. t.) To turn over; to turn or throw about, as for examination or search; to roll or move in a rough, coarse, or unceremonious manner; to throw down or headlong; to precipitate; -- sometimes with over, about, etc.; as, to tumble books or papers.
- (v. i.) To play tricks by various movements and contortions of the body; to perform the feats of an acrobat.
- (v. i.) To roll down; to fall suddenly and violently; to be precipitated; as, to tumble from a scaffold.
- (v. i.) To roll over, or to and fro; to throw ones self about; as, a person on pain tumbles and tosses.
- (v. t.) To disturb; to rumple; as, to tumble a bed.
• Tumbler Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A kind of cart; a tumbrel.
- (n.) A piece attached to, or forming part of, the hammer of a gunlock, upon which the mainspring acts and in which are the notches for sear point to enter.
- (n.) A drinking glass, without a foot or stem; -- so called because originally it had a pointed or convex base, and could not be set down with any liquor in it, thus compelling the drinker to finish his measure.
- (n.) A movable obstruction in a lock, consisting of a lever, latch, wheel, slide, or the like, which must be adjusted to a particular position by a key or other means before the bolt can be thrown in locking or unlocking.
- (n.) One who tumbles; one who plays tricks by various motions of the body; an acrobat.
- (n.) A breed of dogs that tumble when pursuing game. They were formerly used in hunting rabbits.
- (n.) A variety of the domestic pigeon remarkable for its habit of tumbling, or turning somersaults, during its flight.
• Tumblerfuls Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Tumblerful