For Muslims in New Zealand and abroad, the massacre drew sadness and the world must break its silence over Islamophobic hatred
Gunmen kill at least 49 people during Friday prayers at two mosques in Christchurch in the country's worst ever attack.
Shocking video from the attack at Al Noor Mosque emerged on Facebook and was been shared hundreds of times on Facebook and Twitter after being posted live by one of the attackers who is Australian and had been living in New Zealand temporarily.
The shooter in the video, who Egyptian Streets has chosen not to name until an official police statement, live streamed his attack on the mosque on Facebook.
The video, which Facebook, Twitter and Google have been taking steps to remove, shows the Australian shooter killing Muslims indiscriminately with an assault rifle. The video also shows the shooter emptying his ammunition clip into the lifeless body of one victim.
At one point of the video, the killer goes outside the mosque to shoot more victims. He then returns to the mosque to continue shooting lifeless bodies – among which is a young male child – before again going outside.
At the end of the attack, the killer shoots and kills a woman who was screaming for someone to help her. The man, described as a terrorist by Australia’s government following the attack, then enters his car – filled with weapons – and drives off.
The killer also reportedly posted a 37-page manifesto titled ‘the Great Replacement’ online, with links posted to a Twitter account that reportedly belongs to him.
Egyptian Streets has chosen not to share this manifesto or the shooter’s Twitter handle pending further verification. The manifesto identifies the author as a 28-year-old ”White male” who was born in Australia.
In the manifesto, which includes a Q&A section explaining why he carried out the attack, the author writes that he is a fascist and did so mostly “to show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands”. The manifesto also names a number of public figures – often labelled as right-wing figures – as inspirational.
Australia’s government announced the attacker who live streamed the video was an Australian citizen and had been arrested by New Zealand police following the attack.
Political and religious leaders from across the world have expressed their condemnation at the deadly shooting at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.
Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the deadly attack on the mosques, describing them as "the latest example of rising racism and Islamophobia."
"With this attack, hostility towards Islam, that the world has been idly watching and even encouraging for some time, has gone beyond individual harassment to reach the level of mass killing," Erdogan said at the funeral of a former Turkish minister.
Lebanon's Foreign Minister Jubran Bassil warned against the rise of extremism in the West, saying it puts "communities at great risk and in direct confrontation that will only lead to the scourge of war."
Egypt said it stands by New Zealand and the families of the victims, and condemned "the despicable act of terrorism that goes against all principles of humanity and serves as a new reminder of the need to continue and intensify international efforts to fight terrorism, violence and extremism."
Qatar said it condemned in the strongest terms the "terrorist and brutal attack" in New Zealand.
In a statement on Friday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Qatar reiterated its firm stance on rejecting violence and terrorism, regardless of motives and reasons.
Indonesia, the world's biggest Muslim-majority country, strongly condemned the shooting as authorities were checking on whether any of its citizens were victims.
"The government and the people of Indonesia convey deep condolences to the victims and their families," Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said in a statement.
In Muslim-majority Malaysia, Anwar Ibrahim, the leader of the biggest party in its ruling coalition, said one Malaysian had been wounded in the attack he described as a "black tragedy facing humanity and universal peace".
"I am deeply saddened by this uncivilised act, which goes against humanistic values and took the lives of civilians," he said in a statement.
"We extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to the families of the victims and the people of New Zealand."
Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan blamed the New Zealand attacks on rising Islamophobia after 2001's September 11 attacks.
"Shocked and strongly condemn the Christchurch, New Zealand, terrorist attack on mosques. This reaffirms what we have always maintained: that terrorism does not have a religion. Prayers go to the victims and their families," he tweeted.
"I blame these increasing terror attacks on the current Islamophobia post-9/11 where Islam & 1.3 bn Muslims have collectively been blamed for any act of terror by a Muslim. This has been done deliberately to also demonize legitimate Muslim political struggles," he added.
New Zealand raised its terror threat to its highest level as it continues to investigate the Muslim killings at Al Noor Mosque.