• Act Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which is done or doing; the exercise of power, or the effect, of which power exerted is the cause; a performance; a deed.
- (n.) The result of public deliberation; the decision or determination of a legislative body, council, court of justice, etc.; a decree, edit, law, judgment, resolve, award; as, an act of Parliament, or of Congress.
- (n.) A formal solemn writing, expressing that something has been done.
- (n.) A performance of part of a play; one of the principal divisions of a play or dramatic work in which a certain definite part of the action is completed.
- (n.) A thesis maintained in public, in some English universities, by a candidate for a degree, or to show the proficiency of a student.
- (n.) A state of reality or real existence as opposed to a possibility or possible existence.
- (n.) Process of doing; action. In act, in the very doing; on the point of (doing).
- (v. t.) To move to action; to actuate; to animate.
- (v. t.) To perform; to execute; to do.
- (v. t.) To perform, as an actor; to represent dramatically on the stage.
- (v. t.) To assume the office or character of; to play; to personate; as, to act the hero.
- (v. t.) To feign or counterfeit; to simulate.
- (v. i.) To exert power; to produce an effect; as, the stomach acts upon food.
- (v. i.) To perform actions; to fulfill functions; to put forth energy; to move, as opposed to remaining at rest; to carry into effect a determination of the will.
- (v. i.) To behave or conduct, as in morals, private duties, or public offices; to bear or deport ones self; as, we know not why he has acted so.
- (v. i.) To perform on the stage; to represent a character.
• Actual Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: De facto
- (a.) Involving or comprising action; active.
- (a.) Existing in act or reality; really acted or acting; in fact; real; -- opposed to potential, possible, virtual, speculative, conceivable, theoretical, or nominal; as, the actual cost of goods; the actual case under discussion.
- (a.) In action at the time being; now exiting; present; as the actual situation of the country.
- (n.) Something actually received; real, as distinct from estimated, receipts.
• Actuarial Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to actuaries; as, the actuarial value of an annuity.