• Live Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To have a spiritual existence; to be quickened, nourished, and actuated by divine influence or faith.
- (v. i.) To be alive; to have life; to have, as an animal or a plant, the capacity of assimilating matter as food, and to be dependent on such assimilation for a continuance of existence; as, animals and plants that live to a great age are long in reaching maturity.
- (v. i.) To be or continue in existence; to exist; to remain; to be permanent; to last; -- said of inanimate objects, ideas, etc.
- (v. i.) To outlast danger; to float; -- said of a ship, boat, etc.; as, no ship could live in such a storm.
- (v. i.) To make ones abiding place or home; to abide; to dwell; to reside.
- (a.) Full of earnestness; active; wide awake; glowing; as, a live man, or orator.
- (a.) Being in a state of ignition; burning; having active properties; as, a live coal; live embers.
- (v. t.) To spend, as ones life; to pass; to maintain; to continue in, constantly or habitually; as, to live an idle or a useful life.
- (v. i.) To feed; to subsist; to be nourished or supported; -- with on; as, horses live on grass and grain.
- (n.) Life.
- (v. i.) To enjoy or make the most of life; to be in a state of happiness.
- (v. t.) To act habitually in conformity with; to practice.
- (v. i.) To pass ones time; to pass life or time in a certain manner, as to habits, conduct, or circumstances; as, to live in ease or affluence; to live happily or usefully.
- (a.) Imparting power; having motion; as, the live spindle of a lathe.
- (a.) Vivid; bright.
- (v. i.) To be maintained in life; to acquire a livelihood; to subsist; -- with on or by; as, to live on spoils.
- (a.) Having life; alive; living; not dead.
• Liverwort Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A ranunculaceous plant (Anemone Hepatica) with pretty white or bluish flowers and a three-lobed leaf; -- called also squirrel cups.
- (n.) A flowerless plant (Marchantia polymorpha), having an irregularly lobed, spreading, and forking frond.
• Livelihood Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Liveliness; appearance of life.
- (n.) Subsistence or living, as dependent on some means of support; support of life; maintenance.