Allah All-Mighty has made this world a trial base for the mankind.
where they are put to test by various manners. As the Holy Qur’an reveals,” And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and lives and crops; but give glad tidings to the steadfast, Who say, when a misfortune striketh them:Lo! We are Allah’s and lo! Unto Him we are returning. Such are they on whom are blessings from their Lord! And mercy. Such are the rightly guided.”(Al-Baqareh: 157)
Allah Almighty has inspired in the conscious of mankind what is right for it and what is wrong for it as the holy Qur'an reveals,"And a soul and Him Who perfected it, And inspired it (with conscience of) what is wrong for it and (what is) right for it"(Ash-Shams:8).
But the “Nafs-i-Ammarah” i.e. inordinate soul and Satan Iblis are always lie in ambush for misleading to human beings and cause them to commit sins. Satan is an external evil power but inordinate soul exists in the human body, and orders him to commit crime and sins.
So Allah Almighty tests the mankind whether he obeys Satan and inordinate soul or The Beneficent?
Here a question arises whether it is possible to have control over the overwhelming wishes of the inordinate soul? So, according to the Islamic teaching, it is quite possible to do so, as mentioned in the Holy Qur’an,” He is successful who growth, And remembereth the name of his Lord, so prayeth. But ye prefer the life of the world. Although the Hereafter is better and more lasting.” (Al, A’ala:17)
It means that if a faithful believer wants to purify him/her from the filthy of sins and furnish with fair qualities like faith and good actions, so it is possble. We find its good examples in the lives of the Holy Prophets (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon them) and the faithful companions of the Holy Prophet (PBUH), and the Martyrs in the way of Allah, pious and piety ones and the faithful witnesses of the Truth.
The question is: what is the reality of ” Nafs-i-Ammarah”? So, it is a specific power created in human being. It comprises over three parts as:-
(1) Eyes, that always want to see beauty and beautiful things.
(2) Tongue, that always wants to lick up tasty foods whether it is lawful or not.
(3) Sexual organ, that always wants to fulfill her lust even by force, be it is lawful or unlawful.
So, as we see that the disturbance, outbreak, wickedness, obscenity, nudity, murder and fraud etc. in all over the world due to obeying its overwhelming desires. The first murder on the earth took place due to fulfilling sexual desire unlawfully.
Human soul has three categories as:-
(1) Nafs-i-Ammarah, (inordinate soul).
(2) Nafs-i-Lawwama, (Accusing Soul) as mentioned in the Holy Qur’an,” Nay, I swear by the Day of Resurrection; Nay, I swear by the accusing soul (that this Scripture is true). Thinketh man that We shall not assemble his bones? Yea, verily. Yea, We are able to restore his very figures”! (Al-Qiyamah :4)
(3) Nafs-i-Mutma-innah, (soul at peace) as the Holy Qur’an reveals,” But ah! Thou soul at peace! Return unto thy Lord, content in His good pleasure ! Enter thou among My bondmen! Enter thou My Garden”! (Al-Fajr:30)
Religious Scholars say that the human soul in its real nature is “Nafs-i-Ammarah”, i.e. it enjoins to the evils. But by the faith and the good actions and by struggling hard to teach it a lesson of pious and piety, it becomes a Nafs-i-lawwamah, Now it feels ashamed and repenting over committing sins. And after it, when it increases in the goodness and seeks the nearness of Allah,then it becomes the righteous and pious soul. Now it hates un- Islamic ideas and bad acts. It is now called Nafs-i-Mutma-innah.
So, it is necessary for a true Muslim that he should have control over his inordinate soul and teach it the lesson of purity and piety, so that it becomes Nafs-i-Mutma-innah rather then Nafs-i-Immarah